Impact of stress on your mental health: diseases
what disease can be causes by stressAs such the heart tents to be on a rapid mode and works harder when stress is experienced.
- As stress for a long period of time will have the heart working overtime for a longer period of time
- and that can lead to development of cardiovascular disorders. Read more :
- Further, lifestyle of the individual, including diet
- and nutrition, physical exercise, consumption of alcohol and drugs
- and so on can also contribute to the development of such disorders.
- Prolonged stress can also cause hypertension as sympathetic nervous system gets activated
- and blood pressure increases and remains increased for a longer period of time.
- And prolonged hypertension can again lead to development of cardiovascular disorders
- and could also lead to a stroke and kidney related disorders.
- Glucose and fatty acids may also accumulated if an individual has hypertension for a long period of time
- and that in turn could lead to plaques in the artery.
- Further, the release of catecholamine and corticosteroid that take place
- when an individual in undergoing stress (this was discussed under fight or fight response) can also have a negative impact on the arteries and heart.
What happens when you are under stress :Related Diseases
- We sometimes come across children who develop stomach upset before examination.
- This could also be attributed to stress experienced by them.
- As a result of prolonged stress, an individual could also develop ulcear,
- irritable below syndrome and inflammatory below disease.
- Activation of sympathetic nervous system that takes place
- when stress is experienced could lead to access production of the hydrochloric acid
- and pepsin which in turn could lead to peptic ulcers.
- A stress is one of the factors that can also lead to individuals developing asthma.
Asthma is donated by breathing problem that occurs when the bronchial airway are blocked. This blockage could be due to mucus, inflation or spasms (Ghosh, 2015).
How does stress affect a person ?Mental Health
- Prolonged stress could also lead to occurence of cancer amongst the individuals.
- Migraine are headaches that an individuals may experience for a prolonged period of time that occurs on one side of the head.
- Stress is one of the factors that can cause migraines in individuals.
- Stress also has a negative effect on the human system.
- Stress can also cause hypertension, as experiencing stress for a prolonged period of time can negatively affect thyroid,
- the gland that is responsible for metabolism as well as regulation of various physiological functions.
- Stress can not only affect the release of hormone from pituitary gland, that stimulates thyroid,
- but also reduce the conversion to T3 hormone, that is, Triiodothyronine (Lutz,2019).
- Thus, the functioning of the thyroid can get affected.
- Various hormones are also released as stress is experienced
- and this can lead to increased levels of glucose in blood.
- Thus, it can be said that stress can have a negative effect on one's physical health as well as mental health.
- Further, it can also impact one's lifestyle and behaviour which in turn have adverse effects on one's overall health. Read more: BPCS online study
Check your progress A1
(1A) list any five illnesses that can be attributed to stress ?
(1B) How can stress lead to development of cardiovascular disorders in individuals?
Students write or email your answer here
Reference: B.A study materials , Ghosh, M. (2015). Health psychology concept in health and well being.
Preparation of course material BPCS -186 Designed by expert committed. Suhas Shetgroverkar, faculty, Discipline of Psychology, SOSS
#psychologyclass #onlinestudy #stressimpact #psychologystudymeterials